Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MY REMODELED STAMPING AREA!

Woohoo! My dream stamping space is finally finished! Deep breath! A big thank you to Heidi (Pinkhedgehog) and IKEA -I couldn't have done it without you!! LOL! Warning, this is a long post! You can click on each picture for a closer look. At the very bottom, I will list the names and prices of the items I bought. Which I found extremely helpful for me when I was scouring SCS for ideas! Also, I apologize in advance for the spacing around my pictures.

Edited to add: My stamping area is not in a room by itself with a door. It is at one end of the dining/family great room. When I swing to the side, I face the boys play area and the TV. I can stamp and keep an eye on the boys in the day and stamp and watch Lost at night!!

Well, here is what I started with. My old stamping space was a corner of the dining/family room. I had an L shape space with about 6' on each wall. It was crowded but efficient. I literally sat and stamped surrounded by stuff. I plain and simply OUT GREW IT! See the corner of the buffet on the bottom left corner? That is the piece of furnitue that my mom took... it freed up the entire wall for me!


Here is the wall blank. Notice the BIG 6' long window (covered up by a curtain)? That really limited what I could do as far as height, shelving, etc. But, hey I'll take it!!





Drum roll please... here is the new space! Oh, heaven! I went with 2 IKEA desks side by side. Sturdy, inexpensive and efficient.






I'll start with the far left of my area and go clockwise. Here is my glass shelving for my primas. I got the matching glass jars at IKEA (packs of 4). The glass shelves are 4" deep and 3' long. Notice I am ALL out of space already? I asked Bill what was I gonna do when I bought my next jar of primas and he looked at me like, "WHY would you need any MORE?" LOL!






So I bought the wooden box shelves to the right from IKEA, these hold some Capodimonte pieces right now, but they are "earmarked" for more primas! They are shown in the top picture. Here is a close up of the shelves. Aren't they purty?



Next we have a pic of the left desk. These are from the Jonas collection. I needed something that didn't have lots of computer type stuff built in since I was primarily using it for table space.

This desk has a pull out arm, giving me an extra several feet of space when I need it. And I can slide it in when I don't! Man IKEA does it right when it comes to space efficiency!







Here is a picture of under the desk. Since I couldn't go up, I needed to use EVERY inch of under the window. I still have an undermount light to install. But, you can see that I have my 12x12 and 8 1/2x11 paper storage, all my clear stamps, loose stamps, all my brads, buttons and pretties. Everything fits nicely and still room for my feet!



Here is the right desk. This one came with a cabinet attachment. The top is a drawer and the bottom is a door. Lots of stuff fits in there! See those white box/drawer things? They are cardboard type self assemble and on sale at IKEA for $3 each! Can't beat that!




Also under the desk is my filing cabinet that stores all my cardstock. I sort it by color family and alpha within each. I got the fancy labels from EBay for a few bucks. I love it, cause I can see the color and the name. I keep my scraps behind the full sheets in manilla folders.




Here is my pegboard system! I got the idea for the entire system from Heidi! The ribbons are stored in vinyl gutters from Lowes (not sold at Home Depot). You drill some holes in them and hang them on the pegboard! Isn't it purty? I have them cut the biggest I could which is 39" across. I have 4 now, but plenty left over, so if I need to expand, I can. See the cards at the top? Now I have room for my RAKs!! I hung a dowel and put the cards over it. I intend to get another piece cut larger later, but for now I fit 7 cards on this side.





What I LOVE about pegboard, is if you need to move something you can. Just pop off the pegs and move it! Here is a close up of my ribbon rings and the gutter. I painted the pegboard to match my wall (even the screws), so it blends in a bit.





Here is the other wall. I already had this piece of countertop installed on the wall and kept it. I removed the old shelving on the left and replaced it with more pegboard. I kept the shelving on the right and added an undermount light so I can see what I am cutting when I stamp at night. The light is from IKEA called RANTA. Underneath the countertop is perfect for storage for those "leftover" things.

On this side of pegboard, I have all my punches and more RAKs! Again, I painted it to match the wall. Below it I have my 12x12 DP storage, my cuttlebug and accessories.

So that's it! Whew! I told you it was a long post. Here are some details of the items:
Jonas desks, IKEA -$140 ea
Glass shelves, Lowes - $15 ea
Glass jars, IKEA - $3 for 4 pack
Pegboard -$17
Pegboard misc assortment of accessories -$2.50
Gutters, Lowes - $7 for 10ft
Gutter end caps, Lowes - around $2 ea
Cafe curtain rods, Bed Bath & Beyond -$7 ea
Thanks for stopping by! Coming up tomorrow a post with all my Verve release cards made thus far! Julee outdid herself with this release with 8 sets and 5 Plain Janes!


Photobucket

37 comments:

  1. Look at you! This looks amazing! Good job, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome makeover! Enjoy your new space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooooo jealous! Wish I had that much wall to work with in my area. The idea about using the gutters for ribbon is brilliant! I think I might use it myself.

    Thanks for posting this for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***THUD*** OMGosh Michelle, what an AMAZING space you have now!!! I think I'm going to be staring at the pics for a while taking it all in!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I know you are about to bust with excitement. This is an awsome space. Love your storage ideas! Now once you get in there you will never want to leave!

    http://stampsinc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your new space! I LOVE your window! How wonderful to have some natural light shine on you while you are working! ...and those glass shelves are amazing! The flowers look beautiful there! ...silly man! You can never have to many flowers! ;) Beautiful, Michelle! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy canoli!!! Love the new room Michelle!!! Now I'm jealous! LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new space is AWESOME Michelle!!! You will never leave your stamp room, I know I wouldn't!!! LOL!!! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful room! You're a very lucky lady! You will want to close the door and hideaway in there forever! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome new space Michelle. This is so cool and looks so efficent. Just what every stamper needs! AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WAHHOOOO - you did it!!! Love your new space!!! Oh I wish I'd have an IKEA near by :(

    Okay - now keep those fabulous creations of yours coming - LOL!!!

    Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice reorganizing of your craft space. It gave me lots of great ideas for when our basement is developed & I can move all my stuff from my son's room. The Jonas Ikea desk....did it come in different colors???? Thanks for sharing your wonderful space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome to see it all together. You were right about those two desks needing to be the same height, what a clean and efficient look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WooHoo, Michelle!!!! What a FABULOUS new stampin' space, girl! This room ROCKS!!! CONGRATULATIONS! May you have many happy stamping moments in here...:) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE your new space Michelle! That huge window will give you such awesome light to work by ... fantastic! I too have WALLS of pegboard (love it) ... you've done an AWESOME job of this space ... FANTASTIC!!! Now your family will NEVER see you, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely fabulous Michelle. I love the pegboard idea and especially the ribbon gutters, absolutely perfect! I'm like you, I'm continuously growing and the ability to move things around is very important for me. Oh, how I wish I could have a new stamp room with lots of space. Oh well, one can always dream! Congratulations on a job well done, it's totally Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. is that groovy guava on the walls?? I don't remember it being that color!! I love that color!!

    Oh yeah...and the desk.....like...WOWZERS!! Coolness!!

    squirrellyshirley

    ReplyDelete
  18. WAHOOOOOO!!! This is awesome Michelle!! Must feel SOOOOO nice to have an area again! LOVE how you stored your prima's! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your new space-looks great! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!! Michelle, it looks fabulous!!!! Love how you organized so well to get all your stuff in the space. Looks fabulous!!! That window looks into another room? WOW!!!! That is a cool design feature. TFS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved all your storage ideas. I'll have to give some of them a try in my area. Thanks for showing it all to us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your new stamping space looks AWESOME, Michelle...lots of fabo ideas....thanks for all the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible! Thanks for the photos and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WoW! This is awesome! I am thrilled you posted your finished room. Ok sidetrack here, I am totally jealous of your Prima collection! And your ribbon, wow! :) Back to the space, love those Ikea desks! Awesome to have all that work space and all of your storage solutions are great - you really put a lot of good thought into this :) That pull out area is going to be so useful. Nice organization of your cardstock too. Congrats and enjoy!
    Lori K.

    ReplyDelete
  25. how exciting that it is finally done huh? great space which looks like a lot of fun to work in! thanks for the great pictures and info

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats Michelle on your new stamping space! I love the color and it's so organized! Hopefully it will help keep the mojo flowing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are so lucky Michelle! I just nickle and dime myself with little organizers instead of saving up for a good "remodel". Your space looks like a wonderful space to create in, although you could probably use more flowers LOL! I used to show my dh these wonderful spaces to show that I don't have that much, but now he just thinks I'm trying to catch up! (don't tell him I am!) So I'll just envy your little space all by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome and efficient workspace you now have!!! Enjoyed seeing the before and after, and boy, would I wish for all those Primas!!! Wonderful pieces you chose!!! I know you will enjoy it!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful space to make your fantastic creations!! You did an excellent job, Michelle! Gotta love IKEA and I just love the pegboard idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just love your space Michelle! What a fabulous place to create.. so, if I catch a flight at Washington-Dulles.. and we factor in the time change.. hmm.. I could probably be there in an hour or so.. ha! I wish! Have fun creating in your new digs.. Your organization ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. FABULOUS!! I so love seeing behind the scenes!! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW, this is INCREDIBLE!! thanks for showing. I sent a direct link to some of your pictures to my husband LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, Michelle! What an amazing renovation! I have been wanting to visit the IKEA store (about an hour or so from where I live) for some organizational ideas, and you've taken care of that for me! I love what you've done with your area! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't have a craft room but have claimed 2 walls of our dining area off of the kitchen. I bought a full size book case at a garage sale and changed the shelf spacing to store/organize my SU stamp sets. You have inspired me to renovate the exterior back and side of this bookcase, maximizing the use of this bookcase. Adding pegboard to the back and side with the vinyl gutters for my ribbons, displaying brayers, SU punches. Allow me to be frugal and maximizing my $'s. Michelle, thank you for sharing your creativity and clever ideas. I absolutely love your renovation! Lola

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in SPAM I have set comments to be monitored. I apologize for any inconvenience.