Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Home Sweet Quilt collection: Friendship cards trio

 Hi everyone! I'm excited to share a trio of cards using the new Home Sweet Quilt collection from Spellbinders designed by Becca Feeken. I have lots of cards to share with this collection so be sure to check back over the next week or so! 

Today's cards use the Patchwork Petals die set and Quilty Hugs Sentiment stamp set. These came together pretty quickly after all the initial die cutting. Once you die cut and sort the quilted elements in a few colors (in my case 4 colors and 1 patterned paper), it's a matter of mixing and matching them in openings and you multiple cards from the same supplies.

Products used on these cards:
Be Bold Blooms die set (accent flowers)
Cardstock colors: Spellbinders: Barely Peach, Waterfall, Teal Topaz and Fern; Concord and 9th: Sorbet
 
To make the cards, I die cut the outline frame (which has the stitched outline on the inserts within the piece) in White, Barely Peach, Waterfall, Sorbet and then in a patterned paper. Then I adhered 3 of the outlines to card bases and began to adhere the inserts. I love the symmetrical look, so I made a pattern with my colors, but you could just randomly adhere the colors to each and have a more of a mixed-matched feel to it.
As I was working with this collection I figured out a few tips and tricks and I want to share them with you all. There is A LOT of paper piecing elements within the outline shape and it didn't take long to notice some of the pieces weren't fitting well.
 
 TIPS AND TRICKS:
1. After adhering the outline to the card base, take a stiff brush -I use a stencil brush from Dollar Tree (pictured below) and brush off the little paper "hairs" from the die cut. Do this step before adhering any of the inserts and it will help the inserts lay flat and look neat.
2. Use a small nail file to "file" off little paper "hairs" on the insert pieces -I use a small one that came in a 2 pk from Dollar Tree (pictured below). I used this mostly on the larger flat pieces, this will help the insert pieces fit inside the outline and lay flat.
3. When adhering the inserts, use small dabs of glue near the center of the opening. This will help with glue spillage from under the insert and on to the front of the card, especially with small pieces.
4. When releasing the insert pieces from the die, sometimes they get a bit of a curl to them (especially the edges). To help them lay flat in the outline curl the edges slightly downward. This helps them lay flat.

Here is a pic to help show my tips.
Thank you for stopping by and here are individual pictures of each card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increase in SPAM I have set comments to be monitored. I apologize for any inconvenience.