Monday, April 12, 2021

Bathtub and shower combo tile remodel

 Hi everyone! So after a minor accident in the main bathroom shower tore off the soap dish and left a gaping hole in the tile (you can see in the pic below covered with a Fred Meyer plastic bag, lol!), I decided it was time to remodel the bathroom. Yes, the shower tile was original to the house built in 1974 -so it was long overdue!

And.... as these things tend to do, one thing led to another and before I knew it I was knee deep in stenciling the floor tile as well! Stay tuned for the next blog post that will document that entire process!

When I was looking through Pinterest for inspiration I realized that many people who post remodels pictures don't put out enough information. Like I want to know ALL THE DETAILS down to the color of grout, am I right?!? lol! So I wanted to make a blog post that outlined everything I chose, with lots of pictures. We all love a great AFTER pic!! 

I'll try to be complete, but if you have any questions please email me and I will get back to you.

So here is the shower before -isn't it a beauty? I've seen worse, which is probably why I lived with this for 17 years! I forgot to take before pics until after I taped off where I wanted the custom niches to go.

And here are the AFTER pics.
 
For my local friends all custom work was done by Bush Built, LLC and they did fantastic work! Here is a link to their FB page!
 
Everything was purchased at Home Depot and here are the details:

Shower field tile: Home Decorators Collection, Kolasus matte 12x24

Grout color: Platinum

Shower curtain rod: Moen adjustable tension rod 

Bathtub fixtures: Moen Darcy collection

One of the hardest decisions was deciding on a tile layout. There are many ways to lay field tile, but after deciding on the 12x24 I thought a simple 50% lay would be the cleanest. After holding up tiles against the wall, I decided to set the tile to be a full 12" at the tub level which meant the 1/2 tile cut was at the ceiling. I think this gives it the look of trim. Also, this tile is an inexpensive bare bones tile collection and does not come with coordinating bull nose tile. So I had the tile run up to and cut flush with the side wall and then ran the wall paint over the edge giving it a clean look. You can see this on the second to the last pic.

I went with 2 shower niches as both my teen boys share this shower and now each of them have their own products and a way to keep everything separate. The shelf that came with the niches is pretty thick and after tiling it would take up over 2 " of space, so we made a tile sandwich for the shelf. Now the jumbo shampoo type bottles fit! These turned out great and everyone is happy!

I love how the shower turned out and stay tuned tomorrow and I'll share the process of painting/stenciling the floor tile!!

2 comments:

  1. I am about to redo my bathroom so this is great. I like the clean finish of the walls and the idea of a double niche!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in SPAM I have set comments to be monitored. I apologize for any inconvenience.