Monday, December 13, 2010

Test tube treats

Hi everyone!  I have some yummy fun treats to share.  I saw a post on SCS from Kelly talking about putting candy in test tubes and was intrigued.  I bought some from her (she bought a quantity of 1000, so she has lots to spare) and took her advise and filled them with Sixlets.  M&Ms don't fit well because of the lopsided shape.

After calling my local party supply stores for Sixlets which had none, I searched online.  They were pretty spendy to get batches of red/green/white candies, so I kind of let it drop.  THEN weeks later, I was at the Dollar Tree and found bags of Christmas colored Sixlets!  Woohoo!

Here is the process
1.  The test tubes hold 12 candies, each candy pack has 8 (not 6, go figure?).  I didn't even have to touch the candies with my hands, I just snipped off the end of several bags and squeezed the candies into the tube randomly.  I made sure that there were not 2 colors in a row, cause I am ADD like that.
2.  Then I put a bit of score tape around the top and added a strip of designer paper
3.  Then I made tags and tied them on around the paper
 Here is a pic of my fancier tags, these use baker's twine, DP, bling, etc, all stamps are from Verve.
 I needed 8 for Bill's work, so I made easy peasy- all stamping tags -no bling or ribbons as I am sure they will be tossed.  I stamped a sentiment from Verve's O' Christmas Tree and the snowflakes are from Winter Wonder.  I used regular curling ribbon to tie them on.  Even without all the extras, they are still cute huh?
That's it for today.  I am working on some tags and gourmet popcorn bags for my neighbors and teachers.  I will be back soon with those!  Thanks for stopping by!

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. This is beyond adorable, Michelle!! Great score at the Dollar store too :) Love the little round tags on them -- you take round to a new level girl! They look so fun in a mug and what a great gift that would be. My mom makes 100 cups of popcorn for her carmel corn each year and I'm drooling just thinking about it as I type. Can't wait to see how you package yours! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle--

    This is THE perfect thing for my husband to take to work! WTG!! I have to remember it for next year...my list of things to start on for next year is already started! **Groan**

    Thanks for sharing!

    He IS Able,
    Traci Starkweather

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! Must find test tubes!!!! They are Adorable and I just saw MINI jaw breaker sat the candy store that would fit perfectly!!! Or Pixie Stix!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable little gifts. Great idea and I like the tags. What is Kelly's SCS name by chance? I wonder if she still has some for sale. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute!! I want some of those test tubes too!! Tell Rachel to let me know if she finds some (not in 1000 lots...haha). I also can't wait to see your popcorn recipe. I got one from a coworker I'm planning on making as it was so good when she brought it into work last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww this is such a gorgeous gift idea!! :) Love the cute tags :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fun and adorable Michelle, a very cut idea, the mug is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally cute gift idea girly!!!

    Just wanted to let you know that I bought the beaded cords at Michaels. Hope you can still find them!!! Happy holidays...hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle! LOVE the treats! I just made up a bunch for a craft fair then got an order for 120 of them! I did grinch pills and reindeer poo and other ones. Thanks for linking me...of course it was okay! =)

    PS...anyone looking for me on SCS...my name is kspiv and I have plenty of the test tubes left for sale if anyone wants any! Just PM me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love some but live abroad so no use! I am desperately trying to find what size test tube I need to fit 12 sixlets. Please can you tell me the dimensions? length of tube and diameter of opening? Thanks so so much. Britt

      Delete
    2. Hey. I am desperately trying to find out what size test tube will hold 12 sixlets! the length of test tube and diameter of opening. Thanks so much!

      Delete
    3. I would love some but live abroad so no use! I am desperately trying to find what size test tube I need to fit 12 sixlets. Please can you tell me the dimensions? length of tube and diameter of opening? Thanks so so much. Britt

      Delete
    4. Hi Britt, I am not sure you will get notice of this response, but just in case, the dimensions of the test tubes I have are: 7inches tall and diameter is 5/8" wide. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  10. The simplicity of this project is amazing, because they are soooo cute! Love the little tags...what a festive treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *SQUEAL* How darn cute are these!!!! LOVE THEM!!!! I bet these are going to be VERY popular!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOOOOOO freakin cute, Michelle!!! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How FUN! These are adorable! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are super-DUPER cute, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sixlets? Seriously? Are you trying to kill me!? Because those are like my FAVORITE chocolate-y candy and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find on this damn island. You are evil. Adorable project or not, you are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab idea for cheerful little Christmas gifts - they would be nice tied to the tree too. And what a great excuse for me to go rummaging through the sweetie department at the supermarket!

    Nicki, xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in SPAM I have set comments to be monitored. I apologize for any inconvenience.