Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kitchen remodel: Day 32

Hi everyone!  Well, I am back from my mini vacation to Sunriver, Oregon.  What a wonderful place and a fabulous time we had with our friends!!  So good to take a break from the hectic remodeling!!

I do have some remodeling updates.  The backsplashes were installed yesterday and they turned out GREAT!  We toyed around with the idea of doing a tile backsplash, but after many hours standing in front of tile samples, I decided to go with the quartz countertop material.  See?  Clean and simple. 
Here is a wider shot showing the cabinetry with the countertops.  You can see that I still need the crown molding installed, that is still on order.  Fingers crossed soon!!!
Here is a picture of my new sink!  It is the Undermount Smart Divide Deerfield sink by Kohler.  I am in LOVE with this sink, but I ran into a major problem.  It is TOO DEEP!  Yep!  Here is the story.  My only frame of reference for a sink is the Top Mount kind.  So, when I was measuring and ordering my sink, I thought a 9" depth would be perfect.  I NEVER accounted for the UNDERmount dropping the sink bottom by another 1.5".  So, the bottom of my sink is now almost 12" from the countertop.  Uhhhh, I can't touch the bottom without seriously bending over. 

So, after a good cry and many hours of dispair and panic (yes, a remodel can do that to a person), I ordered the bottom basin rack (shown in the left bowl).  It does make a slight difference and I went ahead and ordered one for the other side.  Make lemonade, right?!?
See that suction sponge holder thing?  Totally cute and inexpensive, but it REALLY makes me happy.  No more sponge just hanging out on the countertop.  Yeah!!   Oh and another fun thing, my garbage disposal on/off switch is now a push button above the sink -no more stretching to reach the wall switch!!

Well, that's it for now.  Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for some cards in the next few days!


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Your counters and back splash look gorgeous!!! Not to mention the colours you chose. Sorry to hear about the skin depth, but good for you for figuring out a solution. Love the sponge on the side thingy too. I'm drooling over the rolling cabinets. Well done and hurray for it being close to done :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is looking good Michelle!
    Love the idea of the sponge holder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new kitchen looks beautiful Michelle! Love the idea of the sponge holder as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle!! Love your new kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love, love your new kitchen! thanks for the pics-its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh girlie - your kitchen looks AMAZING!!!!! You must be THRILLED with the way it's turned out!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Michelle! Everything is looking BEAUTIFUL!! Sorry about this sink - but as a Physical Therapist, I have to say that I'm right there with you - it's pretty important for the health of your back that you not have to bend over constantly! I would have been in tears as well! But hopefully the rack thing will work for ya! And I'm seriously going to go pick up one of those sponge holder things TOMORROW. Genius. Why don't I already have one of those!?!? Love it all! My house is only 2 yrs old and you're making me want to remodel my kitchen already!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is looking so nice. Almost makes me want to cook. No. Not really LOL! I bet you're glad the end is near and it looks like a fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is gorgeous!!! LOVE the sink!!!! Oh and that little sponge holder is the best!!! Please tell me where you got it because we build next year and this has to be in my sink!!! LOVE the floors with the cabinets (Wood is Good!!). I see we also have the same mixer...but mine's pink! :) Now I know you will make me cookies and coffee when I visit :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is looking awesome... Your cabinets look great and so pretty. I bet you are loving it all. Just wait till its COMPLETE... :0)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in SPAM I have set comments to be monitored. I apologize for any inconvenience.