Thursday, February 28, 2019

First try with watercolor brush pens

Hi everyone! I have a fun card to share. Some of you who follow me on Instagram have seen me post about my copic coloring journey. Well today I did something new! I tried my hand at water color brush pens. I saw an ad on IG from Arteza and found their prices to be really competitive compared to the Zig Clean brush pens that I have been eying for a few years. I bought the Arteza 48 Real Brush pen pack from Amazon and got a great deal! Once again an impulse buy that I don't regret! (the first being the Crafter's Companion edge dies from HSN!)

I used the lovely dahlia images from the Dahlia Blossoms stamp set from Altenew (all Altenew is on sale at the Stamp Simply store now!). I am relatively new to Altenew, but have been seeing their beautiful designs all over the internet. These dahlias are so lovely!!! For my first try at these pens, I used one color, but with the leaves I did branch out and use 2 -lol!
I watched a few how-to videos about these brush pens on YouTube and will say, these talented artists make it look so easy! It ended up taking me 45 minutes to color these 2 flowers, but I think with some more practice I will get much faster. I really do like working with these. They are much different than Copics, but in lots of ways they are more forgiving.

I have 2 tips for anyone looking to try these:
1 -I found it easier, and had less bleeding over the stamped line, if I heat embossed the image
2 -Quality of watercolor paper is key! Sadly the FSJ watercolor paper I had in my stash did not work with these pens. I went to my local Dick Blicks store and picked up a Canson XL watercolor paper (140lb, 300f) and they worked like a charm!
Anyway, expect to see me use these often!
Here's how the pens look when swatched on watercolor paper. I posted this for the 30 day coloring challenge -hence the label. There are some really pretty colors!!

Today is the last day of the 30 day marker coloring challenge, so I have a WHOLE BUNCH of flower images in a pile just waiting to get made into cards. I plan on using simple layouts and focusing on birthday cards because I never seem to have enough in my stash!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Other supplies used:
My Mind's Eye woodgrain paper from the Gingham Farm 6x6 pad
May Arts satin edge grosgrain ribbon in black
Spellbinders Classic Circles LG, Scalloped Circles LG and Celebrations Two

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much as I like you just ordered these pens and they are on their way to me now so will try them. I will heat emboss before using them. I had never seen them before seeing the ad on the computer so I am hoping they are a good investment. I am hoping that they are all marked with what color they are on the barrel of the pen. Thanks again, Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to play more with mine! This is gorgeous! And yes, the price is quite reasonable!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in SPAM I have set comments to be monitored. I apologize for any inconvenience.